PDA

View Full Version : Friday Fill in the Blank

Doris
08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
I always believed strongly in God but when _____________ I knew he was watching over me.

The first time I went to the cemetary after my son Johnny died, I asked Bob to wait by the car so I could have alone time. I said a prayer and looked toward the sky and said "God, take care of my Johnny" Then there was a strange soothing (hard to explain) humming sound . I looked around and saw nothing.I felt at peace--not scared at all. I walked to the car and asked my husband if he heard that noise--he said "what noise" It was loud but soothing. He saw me looking around but heard nothing.
Alot of strange things have happened since then--I don't talk about them because people think I am crazy. But there are signs---keep an open mind and you will see "signs. God is with all of us.

Char
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
When my sister Barb died. Of course I was very upset and couldn't sleep. Two nights after she died she came to me. She sat on the side of the bed.....she was all dressed in white and there was a kind of a glow around her. She just said "don't be upset, I'm happy now" and then she was gone. I too got that peaceful feeling.
I asked Gord if he had seen her. He said no that I must have been dreaming. I know I wasn't dreaming cause I was awake.

There are so many things that I could tell about. Dad gave me a feathered peony bush when we moved here. I had it for 5 years and it never bloomed. The morning that Barb died when I went outside it was in full bloom. Every year after that it bloomed on the anniversary of Barb's death until the neighbors cats killed it.

At Dad's funeral we had a bagpiper play Amazing Grace. Every year whenever I went on vacation, we stopped at the duty free shop at the border. That song came on every time so we knew that Dad was watching over us on our journey. This year it didn't play and we knew that Dad stayed behind to watch over Mom in the hospital.

My toaster oven dings when I'm not using it...that started after Barb died. My bedroom light comes on all the time by itself...that started after Dad died.

Doris you're right, there are so many signs. I'm waiting for a sign from Mom now.

Doris
08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
When you are least expecting it, it will happen. Those of you that have been on the boards for a while will remember the first mothers day after Johnny died (I was missing him so much)--he was always the first to call and say "happy mothers day" I got up to use the bathroom that night and the bathroom door opened and shut--there was no wind or breeze to cause it. Then it did it again three times. I know it was Johnny and God letting me know he was OK and wanted to say Happy mothers day. I have had the TV change channels--it hadn't happened for a while until the other day when Brianna was here with her mom---Debra saw it too. We were watching TV and it just changed channels by itself. Then a toy that plays music that was turned off started to play. So many things.
I think Johnny wanted to tell Deb and Brian congratulations . So many other things too.

PaperDoll
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I think it was the day I questioned God about why he had not taken care of Aaron since he had promised to take care of us and our children.

I didn't hear a voice but it came so clear to me anyway:

Carol, who do you think was taking care of Aaron when he got sick at 12 days old and you remembered something you read and he needed surgery?

Who do you think was taking care of him when he hid under a parked car when he was a toddler?

Who do you think was taking care of him when he got hit by a car when he was riding his bike as a young teen?

Carol, who do you think is taking care of him now?

Carol

careimebacktooleva
08-25-2006, 09:12 AM
i am so very moved by your posts answering this fitb...
i can't answer it though because it's so personal
i think i've only told two other people in my life.
this has left me spinning.

LaurieD
08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Oh, there are so many signs for so many people and you just have to be open to them happening. never question what you saw or heard but always believe that it is exactly what it is meant to be ...a sign.

My son's best friend was killed in a car accident at 22. I am very close to his mother, she gave me a peace lilly plant from the funeral. Every single June around the time of his death I get just one flower...it is the only time it blooms.

My niece was killed in a car accident at 32. She left behind my nephew (her husband) and two sons aged 8 months and the other was three years old. The morning of her service we returned home and as I was lying on the bed looking outside I gaspped outloud and my husband looked too. There was a cloud shaped exactly as a female angel in the long flowing robe and you could actually see the detail in the feathered wings. While I ran the 10 steps downstairs to grab my camera my husband hollered down that it had already dissapated.(sp) I am amazed that he saw exactly what I saw, at exactly that time. Last November, on Thanksgiving morning, the two little ones. (now 6 & 3) ran to wake up their dad. The older one excitedly told his dad that "Mommy was just here visiting and she sat on my bed and she kept rubbing our backs and saying everything is going to be alright" Even the baby who was only 8 months old when she died said it was "Mommy in the picture"

Whomever you have lost, just relax and listen... you will hear, see and feel the "signs" as they come. They can shake you to the core the first time it happens but what a wonderful feeling it leaves inside. Bless all of you that have lost a loved one and are still here to carry on without. Just know that even though they are gone they are walking right beside you.

Lois
08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
When I was 10 my Father died suddenly of a heart attack. I was devestated behond words. I was so close to him. That night I was sleeping on the living room couch. I could not make myself go to the bedrooms in the back. After everyone had gone to sleep, my Father came and sat beside me on the couch. He told me not to be sad, that everything was going to be ok, that he would always be watching over me. I felt at that moment that he was safe and happy. I told my Mother and Grandparents about it the next day, and they just said you were dreaming. I know that I was wide awake.
When my Daughter Erin died I asked God if I could just hold her one more time. When I woke up the next morning, my arms were actually sore from the weight of holding her. I can't explain that, but I remember holding her for hours. I don't know if I was just dreaming, but I felt the same as I did when I saw my Father, just like she was safe and happy.
My Husband was at work and he saw Phil ( a man he worked with ). He said Hi, and Phil did not say anything but just gestered Hi back. This was strange because Phil was a very outgoing and friendly person, who loved to talk to people. He was walking around the plant, just slowly looking at everything. My Husband even wondered what was up. Later that morning it was announced that Phil had died the night before.
I have had a few instances in my life that I felt protected and watched over by my loved ones who have passed on.
I don't feel that we are ever really gone. I think when we leave this world we are always close by, just in a different sense. I think God lets us stay close to those we love. Lois

Beckie
08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Wow...I thought I was the only one these things happen to. I can't begin to tell you all of the times this same kind of thing has happened to me...one I remember so vividly though was right after my son was born. I was very close to my Grandma Munson, who died shortly before I turned 6 years old. She and I did everything together and when she would come and stay the night with us, we would fall asleep holding hands, Grandma on the rollaway bed and me on the couch. Well, I had my son when I was 19 and throughout my pregnancy I felt an intense sadness because my beloved Grandma was not going to be able to see him or be a part of his life. David was born at just past midnight on August 2, 1983...I remember finally getting to my regular room from the labor/delivery wing and finally beginning to feel like I could get a bit of rest. As I lay there, looking at my son, in awe of this little life that had been entrusted to me and drifted off to sleep. A few minutes later I felt someone touching my foot and thought maybe Dave had come back up to the hospital or one of the nurses had walked in. When I opened my eyes I saw my Grandma standing at the foot of the bed with my baby in her arms. She was looking down at him with this look I cannot explain and as she stroked his cheek, she looked at me and said "He's beautiful Rebecca. Don't worry Angel (she always called me that!), it's going to be okay. You will be a good mother, it's what you were born to be." Then she kissed his forehead and laid him in the basinette and was gone. One of the nurses came in shortly after that and asked if my visitor had gone to get something to eat, I just said no...she said she had heard what my "visitor" had said and then told me how lucky I was to have such a supportive family. I knew then that God was watching over me and that He truly does care about the desires of our heart because all I wanted the entire time I was carrying my baby was for my Grandma to see him just one time, and she did.

Like I said, I have had many experiences with loved ones who are now gone...I just always thought it was my imagination or I was nuts!

Beckie

Had to come back and add this...I wasn't going to say anything about this one but know that I have to...maybe someone needs to read it.
I have lost 2 babies, a little girl I named Amanda Joi, at 17 weeks and 4 days, just shy of being considered a still birth, and a baby boy named Jordan Kristofer at 12-14 weeks. I lost my daughter before I had David, and my son after my twins were born. I have always missed those babies and wondered what their lives might have been like. Sometimes it's more intense than others, especially holidays, the dates that I lost them or milestones in our children's lives, and I have asked God time after time to let my children know that their Mommy loves them and mourns for them, even if no one else does. Well...I was having one of those particularly painful times a few years back, it was right around the time I had lost my daughter all those years before. We were in church one Sunday and the worship leader introduced a new song called "Dance with Me." In the song it talks about dancing with Jesus and I could not get through the words for anything, I kept thinking that I never saw her first dance, or first kiss...never got to hold her and tell her that I loved her; the pain was more intense at that moment than I could ever remember it being. I stood there listening to those words and closed my eyes. Behind that veil, where it was just me pouring my heart and my hurt out to God a scene unfolded that reassured me that my little girl was all right and God knew how I felt. As I stood there with my eyes closed, I could see this room, full of flowers and white light; it was bright and sunny and you could feel a love pouring out of it...off in the corner there was a young girl sitting on a chair and I knew it was my Amanda. She just sat there for a minute or two, like she was waiting on someone or something, and then I saw a hand extend to her and her face lit up. She took the hand and stood up and I watched as she and this man danced the most beautiful waltz I have ever witnessed. They twirled and glided, dipped and moved effortlessly across the dance floor. It was amazing. I never saw His face, but I know Who she was dancing with. The joy on her face made me know she was okay. Several months later I witnessed a similar scene, only that time Amanda invited her brother to join in, and I watched the 3 of them repeat the dance I had seen before. Everytime I hear that song, I am taken back to that room and that scene, and I know that I know that my children are in the presence of my God and that He is right there with them, and right here with me.

Mackie-NC
08-25-2006, 09:59 AM
We had gone to a Religious seminar that was part of Stewart's training to become a Deacon in the Episcopal Church. Woody was at College and we had a friend come stay with Sarah. I was worried as to how Sarah would do since this was the first time we had gone and left her at home and Woody was not there too. The Seminar had a healing prayer service and I went up to pray that Sarah would be fine and I would be comforted and just as I said my prayer a bright light appeared in my head and a voice said "Don't worry, I am watching over her"! It was as if it had been spoken outloud and I later asked Stewart who was praying beside me if he heard the voice and he said no that it was Jesus talking to me. That night we got a call from Sarah and she was in shock because she was thinking about us and she said she saw a bright light and a voice said " you are fine and I am watching over you". Neither of us will ever forget this and I have never been at such peace before or since.

Melody
08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
When my neice Heidi (age 17) died I was so lost as to why she took her own life. I was at my sister's home, walking up the stairs from the basement(Heidi died in the weight room in the basement). I remember touching the handrail and a calmness came over me and I heard Heidi's voice, she told me she did not mean to die, she slipped and could not stop herself. From that point on I have had such a peace.

MarriedToMyHero
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
That Katie's still alive today. She was in a bad caraccident yesterday. I just know it was a bad one and she was in the ER yesterday. She's out of the hospital. She said she's going to call me later t ofill me in.

Faye
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
All the time we were driving home from a vacation
to Walt Disney World it was pouring rain, I prayed
"PLEASE DEAR LORD WATCH OVER US"!!! We got
home safely and I thanked God in my prayers that night.
The next day I drove with my youngest daughter (she was seven yrs. old)
down to get our dog from the kennel...the light turned green
I started up to drive across the intersection and was
hit by a man running the red light and speeding. My
van spun around in two full circles...as I sat there shocked
and stunned I heard a voice say, "I'm still watching over
you". When the police got there they were
amazed my van had not flipped over (if it had my daughter
would have been seriously injured) and also surprised that
the man hadn't driven into my driver's side door at the
speed he was driving...if he had, I'd been killed instantly
by the force of the hit. The doctor in the ambulance kept
saying "It's a miracle your all in one piece!!"
They were going to take me to the emergency room, my daughter was
okay but I was SO afraid and upset I didn't want to leave her alone
in the hospital until my husband got there, I kept saying,
"NO, I can't"...when I saw a dear friend with her daughter (a good
friend of Allison's) getting out of her car running toward me on the
stretcher...she said, "Don't worry I'm driving to the emergency room
right behind the ambulance and I'll watch Allison until your hubby gets
there." Later when the hospital released me with a concussion,
whiplash, black and blue all up and down my arms and side...my
friend said, "I don't know WHY I drove that way yesterday, I usually
go the side street to the dentist but I had a feeling I needed to go this
way and I'm so glad I was there for Allison".
There were and still are lots of prayers of "THANKS"!!!!

bearsandme
08-25-2006, 12:00 PM
In 1973 I had to have major surgery...Afterwards I developed a blood clot in my lung....It was a miracle in itself that I even went into the Doctors..(LONG story there) When I got in there I was immediately placed in ICU...I was told by the doctor that if I would have waited another half hour I would probably have died...BUT the miracle is, the blood clot disappeared BEFORE they even put me on blood thinning meds..When they went to take another X-Ray they couldn't find it:clapsmile :clapsmile My life CHANGED that day:clapsmile I KNEW who had SAVED me:clapsmile

Sissy19
08-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Every time I see all the beauty He created in the world, like a foggy mist on the mountains, a sunset, a rainbow... and the list goes on...

Geniebeanie
08-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Four years ago when my great nephew Justin died from Meningittis at the age of 1. He died one day before his first birthday in four hours. The day of his funeral, it poured rain. It had poured the whole night before as well. When we started to leave the church, all of a sudden there was the most
beautiful rainbow that you ever saw. It stopped raining about ten minutes later and the sun came out.

AzygousKids
08-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow, this is an incredible thread. I just took 10 minutes to read all through these answers. AWESOME!!!! I just THOUGHT I was crazy. I have always believed in God, but knew He was watching out for me when my son had his accident 3 years ago. His best friend died within 3 feet of where Justin was trapped under the car as well. They had been drinking, and Justin gave up his keys, to fall asleep in the car. They flipped it 6 times, and the car ended up on Justin's head with his legs still inside the car. Although Kevin died, this brought me closer to God than I had EVER been. I know for a fact, that God is ready to take some people home earlier than others, but their lives touch so many of us left on earth and that was thier purpose. Kevin's life and death touched my life so drastically, that I will never go back and be the same person I was. I hope I am much better, and live much more for God. Justin, by the way, got something like 200 stitches and staples in his legs and arms, but the only broke bones were 1 broken rib and the small orbit bone under his eye. He was conscious the entire time the car layed on his head, the whole care-flight to the hospital, and all night in the emergency room. I KNOW that the whole thing changed his life. I still keep in touch with Kevin's mom. (we go to church with her). She is the most awesome, strong, person I have ever met. God showed me numerous times throughout that ordeal, that He was there, carrying me through everything going on. I knew I couldn't handle it myself, and finally gave myself to Him... and He was just waiting on that.

Bootiful
08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Awesome testimonials ladies! I truly believe that God allows me to be here with you ladies who with your kind words and deeds witnesses to people like me . When I feel sad or lonely, I can come to the board and read and it makes me feel better . It's amazing that you all seem so close even tho most of us have never met. We are seeing the inner beauty of each person without being influenced by the outer shell that sometimes gets in the way . You will never know what a blessing you have been!

Tracey427
08-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Oh this is so good. I have so many times, but there are two in particular that stand out.

When I was 26 my mom went into the hospital for her 2nd open heart surgery, when I got the call from my stepdad to come home (I was in TX mom in Rochester NY) he assured me that the dr's had told them mom would be home in 4-5 days. While I was packing I started packing clothes for a funeral and calling hours. My husband at the time said why are you packing those the dr told you it was a simple surgery and she would be home in just a few days. I looked at him and very calmly said, mom is going to die. He thought I was crazy. I arrived on a Sunday evening and spent all day Monday and Tuesday with mom. We didn't have a very good relationship (I had alot of resenment and anger for my mom). Those two days were the best in our relationship. Wednesday morning my stepdad and I arrived at the hospital an hour before we were supposed to. We wanted to surprise mom and spend some time with her. When I got to her room my aunt told me that they had decided to start the surgery early since their was a cancellation. I never got to tell mom I loved her. I was devasated. When four hours later the doctor called us to the chapel and told us that things had not gone well and mom was in avegetative state/coma, I couldn't believe it, wouldn't believe it (I was a brand new Christian and believed that by faith anything was possible) Even though the doctor told us she was never going to come out of it, I never stopped believing. On Thursday my stepdad told me that mom didn't want to live on a machine and he wanted my permission to disconnect lifesupport. I knew he was right and agreed. When we got to the hospital I wanted to spend time with mom before we shut off the machines. I sat with her for over an hour telling her how much I loved her and was sorry we wouldn't have more time together. As I got up to leave I bent over and kissed mom on the forehead and said "Bye mom I love you." We were not able to disconnect the lifesupport that day as mom's dr was not there and he had to be there when we signed the papers and to disonnect the life support. The nurses told us to come back on the next am and we would take care of it. We never had to disconnect the life support, God called mom home Friday am around 3 am. That day my sister in law called me and said Tracey I just had to share a dream I had last night. She said she saw God reach down and take mom my the hand to lead her home, as my mom was reaching upward to grab God's hand, she turned and told my sister in law, "Snookie (her nickname) tell Tracey not goodbye but that I will see her again some day." I did not tell a single soul that I had said goodbye to mom, so I know God did that just to give me peace.

The second thing that was so clear symbol from God was the day my grandson Tyler was born. You have to understand the hospital room was overflowing with grandmother's (my son in laws parents, my daughter's mom and her grandparents and her husband's grandparents and my hubby) I was the only non blood grandparent in the room. I felt really out in the cold but my heart wanted to hold this little life, the first person to know my husband and I as a couple with no memories of the past. Finally my son in law's mother said, "it's Tracey's turn to hold Tyler." I swear ladies it was like the red sea parting, everyone stepped back and cleared the rocker for me to sit down and hold him. The minute they placed Tyler in my arms something came over me that I can't explain...it was like our hearts connected" From that day forward I have been the only grandparent that can calm Tyler when he's upset, when we are all together for family event's he sees only me, I am the only grandparent that has ever been allowed to keep him overnight and my step daughter and son in law have left us as his guardian if anything ever happens to them. I know God created this bound because of two things. 1) I was never able to have a child and longed for a baby and 2) to bound my relationship with my children and to make me feel like a true grandparent and stepparent to my grandson and children.

Sorry for being so long winded. I could go on and on...

Buggy
08-26-2006, 12:44 AM
this is a beautiful post.....I have read each of them..Hugs to all of you...

bearsandme
08-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Doris, this was so refreshing...Thank You!!! I came back again to re-read each and everyone of these beautiful TESTIMONIES of God's LOVE and PRESENCE:clapsmile

Shirley Mc
08-26-2006, 04:04 AM
I believe all thing are possible, that those that pass on, do find a way to let us know they are not far away... Shirley Mc

Pat
08-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Just before Mom passed away she woke up and was looking just passed me and upwards and "someone'' told me" it is time'',Char and I both got up....kissed Mom and told her we loved her....and then as a single tear slid down her face she was gone....
I know that she saw her angel coming to take her and I am so thankful that He gave us the chance to tell her once again how much we loved her.
I was talking to my brother Doug last night [he lives in the house now] and he told me he has heard Mom downstairs a couple of times early in the morning.